Providing care to a loved one is a hugely important role, yet it can come with some challenges, especially when juggling your care responsibilities around your own life and needs.
Many carers are in need of some kind of support, yet do not know how or where to get this. This is why the Fund is launching a new Carers Support Package, providing support and information to carers within the RAF Family. This support includes:
- Access to the Fund's RAF telephone friendship groups, aimed at reducing isolation and creating a safe forum to receive peer support.
- Relationship support, accessed through the Fund's partnership with Relate.
- A listening, counselling and wellbeing service, providing access to emotional support, including counselling sessions that can be delivered in your own home.
- A Carer's Information Pack, providing more information on the support available from the Fund as well as useful resources and information from other organisations who support carers. To request a Carer's Information Pack please contact us.
- Respite breaks – subsidised breaks available at Princess Marina House or RAFA Wings Breaks Hotels.
- Advocacy and benefits advice – we can advocate on your behalf if you are struggling to get the correct services from the NHS or your Local Authority. We can also advise you on the benefits you may be entitled to.
- Respite at home (West Sussex only) – a service provided by Princess Marina House to help veterans and carers in need of a break.
In addition to the above, the Fund can provide a range of assistance if you are experiencing financial difficulties (eligibility criteria applies). This includes domiciliary care top-up fees, care/mobility equipment, home adaptations, and grants to assist with things such as regular home help, subscriptions to telecare services or essential items or aids for the home.